School Coordinators & Students
Interested in School Walk for Diabetes?
Not ready to register and need more info? Complete our short "I'm Interested" online form and we'll be in touch soon.
How does the program work?
Online registration is a snap! Designate someone as the school coordinator and register your school by choosing the School Coordinators option on the left. Once the school has been registered, students, parents and staff can register themselves by choosing the School Walkers option on the left. You can also call your local American Diabetes Association office at 1-888-DIABETES to register your school as well.
What happens after I register?
After you register, you will be contacted by an American Diabetes Association School Walk staff person, who will provide you with all the tools you need to get started, including collection envelopes and thank you gift flyers for each student.
When and where is the event held?
- School Walk for Diabetes can be held any time during the school year, as part of an all school assembly or as part of a regularly scheduled P.E. classroom activity.
- The event may take place indoors or outdoors and may be any distance or length of time that the school determines.
- You can even add other activities like basketball, dancing, relay race or other physical activities to make it even more fun!
- We suggest making sure you wrap-up your School Walk event six weeks before the close of the academic year to allow adequate time to receive and distribute the thank you gifts to students.
- There are two special times at the American Diabetes Association which are great opportunities to align your School Walk event. First, in November during American Diabetes Month and Diabetes Alert Day, on the fourth Tuesday in March. During both of these times there will be heightened awareness about diabetes because of significant activity in the national media around the country.
Can we honor a student or teacher with diabetes?
YES! We encourage individuals with diabetes or those personally impacted by diabetes to serve as School Walk for Diabetes ambassadors. Their personal experience and enthusiasm help to engage the rest of the school community in the event. If you want a student to be your school’s ambassador, please be sure to have permission first.
Did You Know...
- Almost 30 million Americans live with diabetes
- About 208,000 people under 20 years of age live with diabetes
- Diabetes costs the American public more than $245 billion each year
Information about diabetes, its alarming complications, and much more can be found at www.diabetes.org